Search This Blog

Friday, September 24, 2010

Kalimalena Neck Knife

The weekend before last, in the midst of coaching one of two soccer games, I get a call from my buddy Craig, aka Kalimalena.

Since we had a conversation about neck knives during our previous lunch, he took it upon himself to make me one.  It is a small scandi blade mounted on an antler handle.  Sweet!

Note to self, next time we have lunch, talk about mansions and sports cars...maybe about yachts too.  ;D

To hold it, he made a kydex sheath with paracord.

He asked to to tear it apart using it, since if I break it, he can make a new one.  But the point was to use it hard and give him my opinions.

Unfortunately, I have been so busy the past few weeks with work stuff that I haven't been able to play much.  I haven't even had a chance to cook for weeks so KP was out too.

But I did slice some fruit for a snack and it is a great slicer.  I did notice that the black coating caused more friction than a polished blade so I may remove it later, even though I like the way it looks.  The coating also made the back of the blade ineffective for striking a ferro rod.  So if I can't get sparks off a ferro rod, I won't get sparks off a piece of flint either.  I will file the back edge after I take off the coating.  And I really like the antler handle with the wrought iron bolster that he shaped and patina'd.  I think the antler point could be used for pressure flaking too.

I mentioned all of this to him when we spoke and he seemed to like the feedback.  More to come after I get to give it a proper review.

Here's a picture of it with a big guava.

2 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful little slicer, Hanzo!
    Lookin sharp:)
    PMZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it was given to me, I was told it wasn't that sharp yet. It had a utility edge on it. After I sharpened it, it was one of my sharpest knives. A very nice slicer. Perfect for a neck knife. And a perfect marriage with a machete or golok.

    ReplyDelete